Month: March 2011

CAEI Studies Possibilities of Producing More Alcohol

The Consorcio Azucarero de Empresas Industriales (CAEI) is studying the possibilities of producing more alcohol instead of molasses, in order to render higher profits and pave the way to promoting ethanol production in the country, as suggested by the economic analyst for the Brazilian company Datgro, Guilherme Nastari.

“We are studying these possibilities and we understand that the Dominican soil can be advantageous for sugar production as well as ethanol”, said Rafael Vélez, GM for CAEI. Vélez emphasized that the ethanol business is very interesting and more at times when the price for crude oil increases on all international markets.

Nastari indicated that the value and use of molasses worldwide is very minimum compared to alcohol.

Also, the economic analyst for the Brazilian company Datagro, disclosed the fact that Brazil is one of the most successful countries in ethanol production, is due to how sugar mills produce 70% sugar and the remaining 30% is turned into alcohol.

The numbers

30 percent. Is the amount produced by Brazil in its sugar mills, while the remaining 70% is destined to sugar production, which has promoted their success in producing ethanol.

About CAEI:

CAEI is a company in the Energy and Industry portfolio of assets administered by VICINI.

The VICINI family has invested in different economic sectors in the Dominican Republic for over 140 years. VICINI is one of the companies that has contributed significantly to the development and industrialization of the country.

SOURCE: Hoy

Organizations Clean Surrounding Areas of Higuamo River

The Coalition for the Higuamo River, the Ministry of Environment, and a group of community and business organizations, developed a reforestation journey using mangroves, located within a perimeter area of 30Kms of the Higuamo Rier, in the Punta Pescadora (Fisherman’s Point) borough of San Pedro de Macorís.

The work was done as result of the financial, population growth and vandalism, which have provoked the contamination of the river, and the disappearance of the biodiversity that once existed.

Among the Coalition members feature CAEI, Beica, Brugal, Renaepa, UCE, Ferquido, EGE-Haina, the Juan Dolio Association for Tourist Development, Metro Country Club, César Iglesias, Consorcio Tecno-Deah, the Free Zone Association, and the Institute of Environmental Rights, among others. These institutions have been promoting the mangrove reproduction, at a greenhouse located in the Brugal distillery of the province, which will be used to repopulate the devastated areas nearby the river. The mangrove is one the few species in the planet, that adapts to living in areas with high salinity percentage, as are the coastal zones. In a document sent to the Director of this newspaper, Miguel Franjul, Elizabeth Aquino Rivas, director of the Coalition, and César Antonio Vargas, director of Idard, spoke about the process, which included the destruction of houses in bad condition.

About CAEI:

CAEI is a company in the Energy and Industry portfolio of assets administered by VICINI.

The VICINI family has invested in different economic sectors in the Dominican Republic for over 140 years. VICINI is one of the companies that has contributed significantly to the development and industrialization of the country.

SOURCE: Listin Diario

Cement Sector Increases by 5% After Years of Stagnation

Cement Sector Increases by 5% After Years of Stagnation

The limestone cement advantage equipment South of the country.

SD. After a stagnation period since 2006, the national cement sector grew 5% last year. Industries are celebrating. But, despite doing well in January and February, they don’t remain optimistic and are worried  on how the sector will behave in 2011 before the effects that the prices of crude oil reflect on the economy, which already foresees an increase.

“In 2008, 2009, 2010, the consumption of  local cement decreased by around 25% and practically remains yet to see a recovery…, today we are producing around 3 million tonnes a year, versus 3.6, 3.7 million tonnes we registered in 2006-2007, which was the best year”, said Osvaldo Oller, VP of Cementos Dominicanos (DOMICEM).

The stability in the currency, the low interest rates and the reactivation of public works, permitted the cement segment to increase that 5% in 2010. However, the announcement issued by the Government that no new works will be developed, will influence the product demand.

Exportations have also been key. CEMEX, Cementos Cibao, DOMICEM and Cementos Colón, the four companies associated to the Dominican Association of Portland Cement Producers (*Asociación Dominicana de Productores de Cemento Portland) – ADOCEM, produce 6 million tonnes, out of which 3 million tonnes are consumed in the country and 1.5million are exported, mainly among the Caribbean, Central America and South America, for  USD$30M.

Yesterday, during a luncheon to present the 2010 Annual Report for DOMICEM, Carlos Jacks, Chairman of CEMEX Dominicana, informed that 80% of the produced cement is sold in bags for around 70 million bags a year, and the remaining 20% is sold retail. An unit of cement costs around RD$300.00. If crude oil prices are maintained, the value could be preserved, according to Oller.

Cement companies have invested over USD$100M in their plants. This is the sector that registers the highest fuel consumption furnace-wise and electric energy. They have spent USD$100M in energetic self-generation mechanisms. “We believe that combustibles this year, will cost the industry 40% more than last year”, said Oller. Industrials do not discard the use of natural gas in order to lessen costs.

Jobs

According to cement producers, this industry generates in the country about 15,000 direct jobs and 20,000 contractor jobs. In the country there are 10 installed production plants. According to the DOMICEM Annual Report, versus other Latin American countries, the Dominican Republic has maintained among the countries with highest production per capita, by having sufficient installed production capacity.

About DOMICEM:

DOMICEM is a company in the Energy and Industries portfolio of assets administered by VICINI.

The VICINI family has invested in different economic sectors in the Dominican Republic for over 140 years. VICINI is one of the companies that has contributed significantly to the development and industrialization of the country.

SOURCE: Diario Libre

Ege-Haina Receives Award for Their Work in Haiti

The Edison Electric Institute (EEI) honored the Empresa Generadora de Electricidad Haina (EGE-Haina), with the award to electrical assistance, for their efforts in the prompt restoring of electric service in Haiti, after the earthquake that devastated that nation in January 2010.

EGE Haina rendered immediate services to Haiti, for the prompt restoration of their electric service, after a seism of 7.0 magnitude caused 230,000 deaths, and left almost 1 million persons homeless, asides destroying the critical inland infrastructure.

Upon learning of the tragedy, EGE Haina sent immediately an Emergency Team to Port au Prince, to restore the electricity of the University Hospital. This team worked continuously for 24hours and installed an 800 kilowatt generator at the hospital, which helped save the life of a patient that was undergoing surgery when the power failed.

Rolando González-Bunster, CEO for CEPM; Edgar Pichardo, of EGE Haina; and Tito Sanjurjo, GM of EGE Haina, received the distinction on behalf of all the companies in the Basic Energy Group, which features among its companies the Consorcio Energético Punta Cana-Macao (CEPM), the Compañía de Electricidad San Pedro de Macorís (CESPM) and the Compañía Eléctrica de Bayahibe (CEB), for all of them collaborated with human capital.

About EGE-Haina:

EGE-Haina is a company in the Energy and Industry portfolio of assets administered by VICINI.

The VICINI family has invested in different economic sectors in the Dominican Republic for over 140 years. VICINI is one of the companies that has contributed significantly to the development and industrialization of the country.

SOURCE: Listin Diario